It is once again flu and cold season, and your body should be prepared to fend off pathogens which can cause these diseases. The “common cold” is the second most common of all human diseases, being exceeded only by periodontal or gum disease. So, you will be exposed to the viruses that cause it. The body’s immune system is the first line of defense in maintaining optimal health. When the immune system is weakened the body is more susceptible to colds, flu, and other infections.
Just what depresses or weakens the immune system? The following factors are important:
Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats
Lack of high cellular levels of Vitamin D3 due to low sunlight exposure to the skin in the winter.
You will be exposed to the viruses that cause flu and colds because others will catch these diseases and they will expose you to what they have.
Here are some things that can prevent your catching the flu or a cold:
1. Astragulus: this root appears to fortify the immune system by increasing the number of immune cells in the body. As a result, it can boost your immunity against all infections whether they be flu, colds, bacterial, viral, or fungal.
2. Echinacea: also known as purple coneflower should be taken at the first sign of viral illness. It appears to work by increasing the number of immune cells in the body and stimulating the production of Interferon.
3. Garlic: through its active component, Allicillin, this bulb has powerful antimicrobial proerties.
4. Oregano Oil and Olive Leaf Extract: while providing support for the immune system, these have potent anti-viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic properties to reduce pain and inflammation and fight off infections.
5. Vitamins C and D3 and Zinc: these are my personal favorites! I take these all year, and I increase the C and D3 in the winter.
If you are too late to prevent, or if you get the viruses even with all you are doing, then you have to do battle with them. What to do?
Ginger Root, Rosemary, Goldenseal, and Mullein Leaves: these all help to elevate body temperature and increase and stimulate the immune system cells. They help reduce fever and are analgesics for the flu-associated muscle and joint pain. Goldenseal and Mullein Leaves are especially good for promoting respiratory problems and for promoting free breathing.
Try these and they should help prevent and if necessary to treat the infections and to lessen the severity and length of the problems. Don’t try to use all of them–pick and choose by what is available through your health food store
Please let all your friends and health advocates know of our Blog!!! We like more friends! ;>)