It’s far more important to know what person the disease has than what disease the person has. Hippocrates
It seems that lately everywhere I look I’m finding articles on the wonder of coconut oil. Magazines, newspapers, and television are all touting “experts” who are talking about this “wonder oil.” If you have questions or are confused about what is causing this sudden wealth of information about coconut oil, I hope to help you with the subject in this blog. Right at the beginning, I need to tell you that I love coconut oil, and we use it for all kinds of things which I will talk about below. It is truly the essence of a “healthy fat,” and proves the “research” about saturated fats over a century ago was totally worthless!
Coconut oil is especially important at this time of year because we are facing cold and flu season, and I will be writing a separate blog on how to boost the immune system and avoid and defeat the viruses that cause these illnesses. It also has other uses, and in fact, there have been books written about coconut oil!
Coconut is nature’s number one source of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA’s), a group of fats that are absorbed into metabolically active cells, which use them for energy, growth, and repair, according to Mary Enig, PhD, author of Know Your Fats. MCFA’s neutralize damaging free radicals and reduce cellular inflammation.
To use coconut oil, just melt the oil by microwaving for 30 seconds, put in your hot tea, coffee, or hot water and let it melt. (Coconut oil is a solid at room temperature.) It can be substituted for other fats in baking (use the same amount as with butter, etc.), used in homemade salad dressings (use 1/2 the amount of the oil), or use topically by rubbing it into the skin or hair. It is far less expensive than “cosmetic” creams, and extremely non-toxic. Remember what I’ve said before: don’t put anything on your skin that you wouldn’t eat or drink.
Now for the uses of coconut oil:
1. Coconut’s MCFA’s prompt liver cells to burn fat 50% faster than normal, thereby melting fat fast. This is especially good following the Holidays! Research has shown that adding 2 tablespoons coconut oil to your daily diet will help shed up to 24 pounds per year.
2. The MCFA’s in coconut oil rev-up the white blood cells which fight infection, plus it kills germs on contact according to research at Michigan State University. Bruce Fife, ND, author of Coconut Cures says that consuming 3 tablespoons of the oil a day can prevent winter ailments. If you do get sick, the same dose can cut the length of time you are ill.
3. Many of us suffer from dry skin patches, especially in the cold winter. This is a time of increased rashes, fine lines and wrinkles. That’s right, I said wrinkles! Dabbing coconut oil on trouble spots twice daily can conquer winter skin woes quickly—as little as a week or two! The reason is that the lauric acid in the oil cuts down on inflammation, kills the bacteria that can cause pimples and diminishes fine lines and wrinkles!
4. Our hair gets dry and cracks more easily in the winter (and even in the summer due to the sun and the chlorine in the water). Coconut oil nourishes hair follicles, destroys dandruff-causing yeast and leaves a layer of healing fatty acids on hair. Just massage 2 tablespoons coconut oil into dry hair and scalp, cover with a shower cap if lying down, and shampoo 30 minutes later or the next morning. Repeat this procedure weekly.
5. You can use coconut oil to help end fatigue. Consume 2 tablespoons per day. The MCFA’s help the thyroid gland to ramp up production of thyroxine, the hormone that speeds the conversion of food into energy. Also, coconut oil helps heal overworked adrenal glands (the “stress glands”) which helps their output of adrenaline which energizes the body.
6. One in three women over 45 years of age have vaginal dryness. If nothing is done to alleviate this situation, it can lead to vaginal atrophy and painful intercourse. Hilda Hutcherson, MD, author of Pleasure, recommends massaging 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil onto your vulva and labia daily. There is a bonus to this: the antifungal and antimicrobial coconut oil will help prevent or treat vaginal infections. (The oil damages latex, so don’t use it with condoms or diaphragms.)
7. The aforementioned Bruce Fife, ND has also done research which points out that coconut oil is useful in helping alcoholics and addicts to break these lethal habits. This should only be used with the help of an experienced and trained health professional, but it is really exciting. the coconut oil has an effect on the brain which defeats the need for the drug or for sugar.
8. You can use coconut oil as an inexpensive, fluoride free, and tasty toothpaste. Put a little on your brush, and it destroys the bacteria, viruses, and yeast that cause dental infections.
9. Coconut oil, because of its MCFA’s, is a great “brain food.” It supplies the fats the brain needs to function at its best. The brain needs sugar to function well, and even in a low-sugar diet, 1/4 of the sugar taken in by diet is used by the brain. Coconut oil replaces the sugar and is actually more effective in feeding brain cells. Research is investigating whether it might prevent, delay, or reverse dementia and Alzheimer’s. Mary Newport, MD has written that Alzheimer’s is a type of diabetes of the brain. She has documented cases where she has been able to reverse Alzheimer’s with coconut oil.
10. There is no better creamer for coffee (organic coffee, of course) than coconut creamer. It tastes great, has a long shelf-life, and is actually healthy for you! I use So Delicious which is available at Whole Foods and at Giant.
And coconut oil is relatively inexpensive! Just make sure you use an organic, high quality blend, or that you order it from us. One good one in the store is Spectrum Organic CO.
Give us a call! We need to talk!
This is the last edition of the Blog before Christmas. Kathy and I wish you the very Happiest of Christmases. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the wonder of the Season. It’s a time for reflection and looking ahead with great optimism!! Merry Christmas!!
“One of the biggest tragedies of human civilization is the precedents of chemical therapy over nutrition. It is a substitution of artificial therapy over natural, of poison over food, in which we are feeding people poisons trying to correct the reactions of starvation.”
Dr. Royal Lee, 1951
Please pass this blog along to your friends, family, and co-workers. We work with people by utilizing the modern technique known as “telemedicine,” and we would love to help you. You do not have to come to Delaware! We also can help you as a “Medical Advocate.” What this means is that, if you have questions about health matters, including the interpretation of laboratory testing, you can contact us and we will discuss what your test results mean and help you get good answers to your questions. It seems that today everyone, including doctors, is in a rush and you end up getting the short end of the stick. We can help with that problem. Just give us a call at 410-326-6690. Also, check out our Web Site at http://www.wholebodyhealth.us for more info.