I was talking to a long-time patient recently and she told me an interesting story. It seems that she was feeling really good, and then she started to go downhill. She was feeling a lack of energy, lack of motivation, and coming down with infections that she hadn’t had before. After talking to her I decided that the best way to proceed was to go through an up-to-date workup and re-evaluation. She agreed, and I sent her the documents necessary to update her condition so that we could update her nutritional needs. (This can all be done by phone.)
When someone has been taking nutritional supplements and finds over time that they are going downhill, or at least not doing as well as they were in the past, it is usually due to one of three things:
1. They are not taking high quality supplements.
2. They are not absorbing the vitamins, electrolytes, and minerals that their body requires to function optimally.
3. They are not following what we asked them to do based on our workup or they are not eating a healthy diet.
Let’s take these in order.
When I looked at this patient’s “Systems Survey” when she had returned it to me, I realized that she was taking several supplements which she had not obtained from me. I asked her on the phone consult why she was taking these, and I also asked where she had purchased them. She told me that she had heard about the “extra” supplements from various sources: television, magazines, friends, workmates, and even the health food store. None of these sources had tested her nor did they know anything at all about her health status and needs. She also had stopped taking certain supplements that I had originally recommended after evaluating her needs scientifically.
Our office distributes professional quality medical foods and dietary supplements. The products we carry are scientifically formulated to support specific aspects of health and we understand the health of our patients to whom the products are recommended. Online and store-front retailers are not authorized to sell most of the products we offer. Many of these products are relabeled, counterfeited, or damaged. Many on-line products are sold by “bait and switch” tactics where you think you are getting the original products, but the retailer does not have them and will substitute an inferior brand while telling the purchaser that it is “just as good.”
Several things can be learned from this exchange:
1. We stand behind the quality and purity of every product we sell. Our Mission is to help you achieve Optimal Health, and you can trust what you purchase from us.
2. We strive to make high quality affordable. We do not charge “suggested retail price,” but instead we discount the products for our patients.
3. We do not sell supplements to people we do not know. We believe in the phrase “Test–don’t guess.” If it has been a while since we have worked up a health profile for you, give us a call and we will do a new work-up at a reasonable price and restart your engine!
Don’t play around with your health, and don’t try to cut corners for a few pennies.
More on absorption, and particularly “Malabsorption Syndrome” next time.
Give us a call–we need to talk!
Please pass this blog along to your friends, family, and co-workers. We work with people by utilizing the modern technique known as “telemedicine,” and we would love to help you. You do not have to come to Delaware! We also can help you as a “Medical Advocate.” What this means is that, if you have questions about health matters, including the interpretation of laboratory testing, you can contact us and we will discuss what your test results mean and help you get good answers to your questions. It seems that today everyone, including doctors, is in a rush and you end up getting the short end of the stick. We can help with that problem. Just give us a call at 410-326-6690. Also, check out our Web Site at http://www.wholebodyhealth.us for more info.